Ever gotten near the end of the month, panic-stricken, and wondered where you were going to come up with the revenue needed to simply operate your business?
Never mind actually paying yourself.
And once again you were forced to go into your own pocket to pay for the subscriptions, tools and expenses you thought you needed to grow this business you expected would take off. A wild, roaring success.
But what’s the solution?
Where are all the clients and customers you expected would come to you? How can you attract new customers and intentionally guide them working with you or purchasing your products?
Let’s dive into your secret weapon for reliable and consistent revenue – the profitable sales funnel
What is a Sales Funnel?
Your sales funnel is a vehicle for transforming your website traffic into leads and then into customers for your business. It’s a very intentional way of using content to sell for you. And it’s up to you to choose what type of vehicle you want your potential customers to take that journey in – a broken-down Chevy with ripped seats and no air conditioning, a luxury Rolls Royce with the red carpet rolled out, or maybe a seafoam green mini cooper convertible. It’s completely up to you to customize your potential customer’s experience – but the outcome depends on you making that decision.
Your sales funnel is basically the journey a new lead (email subscriber) takes from being completely new to you and your business/brand to becoming a customer.
Another way to picture your sales funnel as a continuum mapping your customer’s entire experience with your business.
By thinking of it this way, we can design every point along the experience to intentionally move prospects towards becoming a happy and delighted customer.
This post is going to teach you how to build your sales funnel content so that your passive funnel becomes your most reliable, effective sales and marketing tool (basically a 24-7 salesperson who does the work for you and you don’t have to pay). Heck yes!
So Why Should a Busy Business Owner Bother with a Sales Funnel?
You’re busy, so the thought of adding another project to your plate likely terrifies you, makes you a bit nauseous, or a mix of both. I get it.
But let’s start with some of the things a strong sales funnel can do for you:
- Engages and builds trust with new subscribers
- Intentionally guides through a sales experience that invites them to purchase in an authentic and non-salesy way
- Saves you the time of having to sell your services or products one-on-one
- Runs in the background even when you’re busy doing other things
- Gets you paid for building your email list
And the great part? You likely already have a lot of the pieces you’ll need for your sales funnel that we can tweak and optimize.
And even if you don’t have them all, you can sign up for the FREE Masterclass where I’ll hold your hand and walk you through creating an engaging and effective sales funnel the easy way.
Layer 1 of Your Profitable Funnel
Creating an entire sales funnel can feel like a really overwhelming task with a lot of moving parts. One way to overcome this and make building your funnel manageable and organized is to think of your sales funnel as three separate layers. I also prefer to break it down this way because it makes it easier to optimize each piece of your funnel and build it gradually.
So let’s get started!
Here are the individual projects to complete this layer:
- Choose a freebie that relates to the paid offer you’ve chosen for this funnel (note: you can eventually have a funnel for each one of your different offer types)
- Create your freebie
- Create your freebie opt-in page and thank you page
- Write your freebie welcome email
- Build, schedule and automate all web pages, emails and delivery of freebie
Layer 2 of Your Profitable Funnel
Layer 2 of the Profitable Sales Funnel model revolves around your offer – it can be a service, an information product, a physical product, anything.
Some pointers for a strong offer:
- Think about the typical point of sale for your offer and align the call-to-action to guide them to that spot (i.e. maybe your customers typically purchase from your sales page, or from a free call or in store)
- Brainstorm the best way to inject some urgency into the offer. You want to give your potential customer a reason to take action right now. Maybe it’s a coupon, a special bundle or bonus, an offer that’s only available for a limited time.
- Make sure that the offer is directly related to the freebie so that if your new subscriber wants to take the next step, your offer is that next logical step.
Here’s what layer 2 looks like:
Here are the individual projects to complete this layer:
- Create your urgency-based offer
- Create your offer sales page, checkout page and thank you page
- Write your email sequence (4-6 emails that follow the welcome email)
- Build, schedule and automate all web pages, emails and offer delivery
After you’re finished building this layer, you’ll have a fully functioning funnel. All that’s missing is the traffic and promotion plan which will come together in layer 3.
Layer 3 of Your Profitable Funnel
Layer 3 of your Profitable Sales Funnel deals in promotion and traffic generating methods. What good can your sales funnel going to do for you if it doesn’t have a steady stream of traffic entering it?
As you can see from above, here are the individual projects to complete the final layer:
- Choose 2-3 methods of promoting your freebie (see the free Profitable Sales Masterclass for specific methods)
- Create a monthly goal and measurement dashboard for your funnel to identify optimization opportunities
Take action on this post with these 3 steps or save it for later (will be on your dashboard).
|1||Sign up for the sales funnel masterclass|
|2||Map out layer 1 of your funnel - the freebie layer|
|3||Map out layer 2 of your funnel - the offer layer|
Download the FREE Monthly Content Planning Kit that you can use right away to start creating amazing content easily + consistently